Hanyuqiao Competition for WA secondary school students & Y9 Chinese Speech Competition
Time and Venue
Hanyu Qiao competition for Western Australian secondary school students and Year ( Student Chinese Speech Competition will be jointly hosted on 28th May Saturday, 2016 at Kurrajong Theatre by the Confucius Institute at UWA and Chinese Language Teachers’ Association of WA (CLTAWA).
The 4 top winners of the WA Finals will participate in the regional finals in Adelaide on 9-10 June. There are varied prizes for the participants and travel opportunities to China for top-prize winners of the competition in Adelaide.
Components of the Competition
The competition consists of three components:
- Written test in Chinese on your general knowledge of China (20 minutes);
- Unscripted speech on the topic of “My Chinese Dream” (2-3 minutes);
- Cultural performance relevant to Chinese culture (3-5 minutes) e.g. singing in Chinese, martial arts, Chinese folk dancing and Chinese poetry recital etc.
To be eligible for the competition, you must meet the following requirements:
Be a currently enrolled secondary school student in Western Australia
- Be between 15 – 20 years old
- Non-Chinese citizen or Chinese-heritage student
- Not born and raised in a Chinese-speaking country
- Be a genuine speaker of Chinese (Mandarin) as a second language (if in doubt please contact the Confucius Institute)
To participate in the competition, please talk to your teacher and email the completed Recommendation Form to firstname.lastname@example.org before 13 May.