The mission of the CI at UWA is to facilitate engagement with China in ways that strengthen the understanding, opportunities and bonds between individuals, enterprises, communities and institutions in Western Australia with the People’s Republic of China and the global Chinese diaspora.
On the basis of existing networks internal and external to the University and on the prospects for forging new alliances with strategic partners the Institute seeks to become a world class centre for coordinating, facilitating and enhancing China-related activities into the 21st century.
The CI at UWA aims to:
- Forge strategic alliances with business, industry, government and other institutions with an interest in closer and more productive ties with China.
- Become a focal point for China-related activities at UWA and in Western Australia more broadly.
- Promote an awareness of contemporary China amongst the wider community.
- Offer innovative and flexible Chinese language learning courses for the general public.
- Provide cross-cultural communication seminars and workshops for business, government and the general community.
- Convene conferences, seminars and forums on issues relating to China.
- Enhance the teaching and learning skills of Chinese language teachers.
- Host language teachers from China.
- Hold the Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK).